Long Car Journey Essential For Parents
If your are planning a long journey, have young children and are trying to avoid hearing the question “are we there yet?” then this blog is for you. Here is our list of long car journey essentials for parents to survive a trip with kids:
- Take some sweets, but try avoid chocolate as its so difficult to get out of car upholstery. Children are usually at their happiest eating something laden with sugar, but as a treat of course!
- iPad / Tablet / DVD player
- Handheld or over car seat ones
- Take a tablet or iPad to entertain little ones with games that are free but make sure you disable in-app purchases so your little ones don’t run up a bill while you drive.
- A DvD player that can rest in a holder on the back of a car seat or a portable dvd player is also a great idea, but make sure you have enough batteries or a reliable source of power or it’ll die and you then have a problem.
- Sweeties means sticky little hands, and the last thing you want is to have to clean your car windows on your trip. Wet wipes are an essential for any car journey as they can provide a quick freshen up whilst still travelling.
- Colouring books
- Older children may find a colouring book suits their attention span much better. Pack of colouring pencils and a sharpener with a built in bin for the sharpenings so they don’t go over the car and your child will be entertained for hours. Try get a colouring book that includes their favourite character for extra fun!
- Long car journeys may mean you’re travelling at meal times, snacks such as popcorn, or even home made pack ups will keep hunger at bay so that your little mouths are fed and are happy.
- While travelling with children will be inevitable, remember they are still children and plan in enough toilet and leg stretch breaks, or even play games with them such as: “That sign says 40 miles to Destination A, when that number goes down to 20 we get a break,” this can keep them entertained and looking out at the views too!